Note: Before you add multiple clients to Relay, we recommend trying it out at your own firm to gain firsthand experience of what your clients need to know when getting started on Relay. Once you've tested Relay at your own firm and in your own workflow, you'll be ready to start bringing on your clients... but which clients should you start with?
Even if you hope to add all of your clients to Relay (and make it part of your firm’s standardized technology stack), we recommend rolling out Relay in cohorts, especially if you have a large volume of clients.
You might already have a few clients in mind; however, here are some criteria to consider when selecting your first few clients to add to Relay.
You might consider clients who are dealing with:
- Poor technology - traditional banks have hard to use software with limited bill pay features and bank feeds that break. It’s also not easy to collaborate with their team, safely & securely
- Manual processes for bill pay - SMBs spend meaningful amounts of time gathering their bills, doing data entry to enter payment details and keeping track of which bills are paid
- Limited visibility into employee spending - team members spend funds and submit receipts for reimbursement at the end of the month, causing cashflow surprises
- Poor customer service - business owners are tired of half-solutions to their problems and having to talk to multiple departments or visiting a branch to complete basic banking tasks
- Charged for using their money - monthly fees and minimum balance requirements
- Difficult to manage cash - businesses are not able to move funds easily between multiple checking accounts for tax withholding, upcoming expenses, or setting aside specific budgets. As an example, business running Profit First find Relay particularly useful
Relay works with lots of different businesses including:
- Consultants & freelancers
- Real estate
- Health & fitness
- and much more...
Businesses that don't work well with Relay
- Need a local branch to deposit cash frequently
- Need a local branch to deposit checks in bulk on a regular basis
- Businesses dealing with cannabis, CBD, cryptocurrency, moneyorder checks, see a full list here.
Our Recommended Approach
- Start with clients who are actively looking for a switch. Especially as big banks continue to underdeliver on key services, upgrading banks is top of mind more often than we realize.
- For clients that may be on the fence, we recommend starting with a single usecase:
- Improve expense management and financial visibility with Relay debit cards
- Centralizing bill pay in Relay with an audit trail and robust approval workflows. No need for 3rd party software.
- Manage cash more easily with Relay as the hub for your finances. Open up to 20 checking accounts, all with no monthly fees or minimum balances. Relay is the perfect complement to existing banking that helps increase financial visibility.
Below you'll find more resources for onboarding your clients to Relay:
|🏦||Communicating the Value of Relay|
|🤝||How to invite your clients|