Please note: For the time being, Relay is unable to provide checkbooks for its accounts. Relay is also unable to support any printed checks from third parties using the account and routing number. Any payment made with a printed checkbook will not process.
You can make payments out of your Relay account using the “Payments” tab as described below.
Can I make a check payment without a checkbook?
Yes! Relay currently supports the mailing of bill pay checks instead of the use of checkbooks, free of charge.
Making a bill pay check payment
- Select the Payments tab once signed into Relay.
- Click New Payment in the top right hand corner.
- Select Check.
- Create a check payee by clicking + New Payee.
- Once a payee has been created, select the payee and follow the steps listed to make the payment.
- Once a check payment has been made, the check is mailed out to the payee on the next business day. It takes about 8 to 10 business days for the check to arrive once mailed out.
Things to know
- The check will have an “In Progress” status until the payee deposits the check and the funds have settled.
- Once the check is “In Progress” the funds are pulled from the balance of the account.
- A “Settled” status means the check has been successfully deposited by the payee.
- Check payments only appear on Xero/QuickBooks Online bank feeds when they have “Settled”.
- If a suite or apartment number is not added but is a necessity for the receiving address the check may not arrive.
- The check can be voided if it does not arrive in the mail to the payee.
Why does Relay not support third-party checkbooks?
Relay is built on top of Evolve Bank & Trust. At the moment, Evolve Bank & Trust does not recognize checks that they do not issue. As a result, if a printed check from a third party checkbook provider is deposited at a bank, Evolve will not honor it.
We understand that this is an inconvenience for businesses that prefer to have a checkbook available. We are working to support the functionality and will update our users as soon as we do.
Questions? Get in touch with our Support Team at email@example.com or 1 (888) 205-9304.