This article explains how to set up and manage approval rules for bill payments in Relay. Approval rules are a series of one or more approval steps that must be completed before a payment can be initiated. This ensures that any required team members are signing off on bills before funds are used to pay them off.
Note: Approval Rules can only be set by team members who are Administrators and advisors who are Super Administrators. For more information user permissions, here for team members and here for advisors.
Sections in this article
- Navigating to Approval Rules
- Creating Approval Rules
- Editing or Deleting Approval Rules
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Navigating to Approval Rules
Once logged into Relay on your desktop, navigate to the Payments tab and select Approval rules from the dropdown menu.
Creating Approval Rules
1. On the Approval Rules page, click New Rule in the top right-hand corner of your screen.
2. Set your approval qualifiers. These are the “triggers” for an approval process. When a payment falls within the defined criteria, the approval rule must be satisfied in order to initiate a payment.
Approval qualifiers can be set to amounts less than, between, or greater than the defined criteria.
3. Select whether your approval process will include one or multiple stages.
- A one-stage approval process means that only one representative must approve the bill prior to payment.
- A multi-step approval process means that one representative in each stage must approve the bill prior to payment.
4. Next, define your approval stages. These are the steps that must be completed (in the defined order) for a payment to be initiated. To add a step, click Add new step to open the approval stage modal window.
5. From the modal, choose the team members who must approve of the payment at this step. Check the box “all team members in group must approve payment” if all selected team members are required to approve payment for this step to be complete. Leave the box unselected if only one team member’s approval is required to complete the step.
6. Add additional approval steps as required. Steps must be completed in the order listed on this screen. You can change the step order by clicking the four dots to the left of each box and dragging the step up or down.
7. Click Save in the bottom-right corner of your screen to save your approval rule. Saved approval rules will appear on your main Approval Rules page.
Editing or Deleting Approval Rules
1. Navigate to Payments > Approval rules. All saved approval rules will be listed here. To edit an approval rule, click the box containing that rule.
2. To edit the rule, click Edit in the top-right-hand corner of the screen. This will take you to the above workflow for setting up an approval rule — the rule can be edited from there.
3. To delete the rule, click Remove in the top-right corner of the screen.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: How do I approve bills?
A: For instructions on how to approve bills, please see Approving Bills.
Q: How do I pay my bills?
A: Once your bills are approved and ready for payment, you can follow the instructions outlined here to pay them off.
Q: Why don't I see the Approval Rules tab in my Relay account?
A: The bill pay/approval rules features are only available to Relay Pro users with active QuickBooks Online/Xero integrations.