This article will guide you through setting up the Bill Pay feature for your Relay account using Xero.
Sections in this article
- Integrating Xero with Bill Pay
- How to set up Bill Pay for Xero
- How to Manually Sync Unpaid Bills from Xero
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Things to Know
Integrating Xero with Bill Pay
Once you have integrated Xero for bank feeds, you can set up Bill Pay with Xero. Bill Pay pulls unpaid bills from Xero into Relay to streamline accounting processes.
The bank feed connection ensures that bills are marked as paid in Xero when a bill payment is made in Relay.
For more information on Xero bank feeds and Bill Pay, please see the articles below:
How to set up Bill Pay for Xero
1. Once logged into Relay on your desktop, navigate to Settings > Integrations.
2. Scroll down to the Bill pay section and click Connect next to Xero.
3. You will now be brought to Xero's login page. After logging in by entering your Xero credentials, you will be redirected back to Relay. Please allow a few seconds for the connection to occur.
4. Back on Relay, under Settings > Integrations, you should see that you're now successfully connected to Xero under Bill pay section. While on this page, click Edit.
5. Here, you will be prompted to set up your integration preferences to either:
- Automatically import all unpaid bills and associated payees; or
- Manually select payees to import their associated bills.
Once you've checked off your preference, click Save at the bottom-right corner of your screen. You're all set!
How to Manually Sync Unpaid Bills from Xero
Relay automatically syncs your unpaid bills from your Xero account every 3 hours, starting at midnight UTC. You can also sync your unpaid bills manually on Xero at any time. To do so, navigate to the Payments tab and select Bills from the dropdown menu.
At the top of your screen, click Sync Now. After syncing, you will see all approved bills listed from Xero.
On this page, you can also: Initiate bill payments, mark bills as 'Paid', view the bill in Xero, or view attachments by clicking on the three vertical dots at the far right side of each unpaid bill.
Alternatively, you can select the boxes beside the Payee name for similar options to action on bills in batches.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- What if I don’t use Xero? What platforms does Relay work with? As of now, Relay offers Bill Pay integrations for Xero and QuickBooks Online. You can also connect other platforms with Relay if they are compatible with Plaid.
- How often does Relay sync with my Xero account? Relay automatically syncs your unpaid bills and bill payees from your Xero account approximately every 3 hours.
Things to Know
- Only settled transactions will appear in Xero's bank feed.
- Xero does not automatically sync checking account name changes completed in Relay. Account name changes must be completed both in Relay and Xero.
- Bills must be filled out and approved in Xero in order to be synced to Relay.
- A new payee is created in Relay whenever a bill with a new payee is imported from Xero.
- You can disconnect or edit your Xero Bill Pay integration at any time by going to Settings > Integrations.