You can make check payments from your dashboard. These checks are mailed out the next business day and take approximately 8-10 business days to arrive at the address listed in the payee.
How to send a check payment
- On the home screen, select the Payments tab.
- Click New Payment in the top right-hand corner.
- Select the payee you would like to send the check to. If you have not already added the recipient of this check as a Payee, please first add them as a payee by following the instructions in this article: Adding and Archiving a Payee.
- Once a payee has been selected, choose Check from the list of payment options.
- Select the source account. Please note, the funds will not be deducted from the account balance until the check is deposited by the payee.
- Enter the amount, select the frequency & date of payment and enter the reason for payment (this will be printed on the memo line on the check).
- Review the recipient details and click Next.
- Confirm payment details and select Initiate Payment.
- A payment receipt will appear. Click Done to return to the Home page. Once a check payment has been made, the check is mailed out to the payee on the next business day. It takes about 8 to 10 business days for the check to arrive once mailed out.
- You can keep updated on the check's timeline by selecting the payment and viewing the panel that appears on the right-hand side.
Things to know
- The amount of the check will not be deducted from your account balance until the check is deposited by the payee.
- Checks can only be mailed to an address located in the United States.
- Relay does not currently provide checkbooks and cannot support any checks created outside of Relay (including payroll checks). We are currently working on offering third-party checks and hope to offer this in the very near future. Stay tuned for updates!
- The check will have an “In Progress” status until the payee deposits the check and the funds have settled.
- A “Settled” status means the check has been successfully deposited by the payee.
- Check payments only appear on Xero/QuickBooks Online bank feeds when they have “Settled”.
- If a suite or apartment number is not added but is a necessity for the receiving address the check may not arrive.
- A stop payment can be placed on the check if it needs to be cancelled or if it does not arrive in the mail to the payee. Please reach out to here if you would like to place a stop payment on a check.